Classic waffles with Raspberry Curd


Ahhhh, the family is finally all healthy again!  (Had to go and say something, the little kiddo spiked a fever right after I posted.  :P)  Wow, this has been a nasty cold and flu season everywhere.  I hope everyone is staying healthy now.  We've been doing lots of our favorite soups this past month.  I might do a recap post of great soups soon.  I am trying to replenish my freezer with stock, since I used it all up and had to resort to store bought.  But it is mid winter break now and I have time for indulgent breakfasts.  Where I grew up there is a little chain of restaurants that makes the most delicious Swedish pancakes with lingonberry sauce.  They are fabulous and my mom likes to order them extra crispy.  I haven't looked for a recipe for swedes but I do love waffles because I rarely make them.  So with company visiting this week, I decided on waffles.  I also had leftover raspberry curd on hand from my hubby's birthday cake filling.  It is seriously awesome stuff and no corn starch required.  It's nice and thick but willing to drizzle if you give it a good stir first.  And the waffles are simple, light and crispy.  How crispy they turn out is your choice.  If you like them with a little chew, take them out when there is still a wisp of steam coming out of the waffle baker; for crispy, take them out when there is no steam any more.  These turned out to be a fabulous replacement for Swedish pancakes.

Classic Waffles
Serves 4

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt

♦♦♦

2 beaten egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 stiffly beaten egg whites

Preheat waffle baker.  Stir together the dry ingredients.   Whisk together the milk and egg yolks.  Stir into dry mixture.  Mix in the oil.  Fold in the beaten whites with a whisk.  It's okay to leave a few white fluffs.  Don't overmix.  Bake according to manufacturer's directions.  I use about a scant half cup per waffle for my baker.  Amount will vary with your machine.  Serve with butter and maple syrup, or a bare drizzle of syrup and raspberry curd.  You can also serve with curd and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

Extra waffles freeze well and reheat in the toaster.  Don't cook them completely crispy if you plan on freezing them, so that they will have some moisture left for the toaster to crisp up.


Raspberry Curd
makes about 2 cups

½ cup butter (add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter)
12 oz. package frozen raspberries
5 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp lime juice

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the raspberries and lime juice and mash lightly with a fork until thawed.  Combine yolks and sugar in a bowl until creamy and thoroughly mixed.  Add to the raspberries and mix well.  Stir every minute or so for five minutes, then constantly until thickened to a pudding consistency.  Remove from heat.  Sieve out the seeds if desired and cool to room temperature.  Store in the refrigerator.

Suitable for cake filling, doughnut filling, coffeecake filling or topping, scone topping, biscuit topping, and any jam type use, etc.

Comments

  1. Can you substitute strawberries for the raspberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you can, but I would cut back the sugar by half or less depending on the sweetness of the strawberries. Possibly cut back the butter to 6 tbsp as well. You probably wouldn't need to strain seeds with strawberries. Here also is a strawberry curd recipe that looked very promising to me, though I have not tried it myself. Much less butter. http://australianfood.about.com/od/breakfast/r/strawberry_curd.htm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.