Apple Betty Bread


So my four year old dumped my whole recipe box out onto the sofa.  While I am, to say the least, displeased about it, I did take the opportunity to weed out another ¼" of recipes I will never use.  And, joy of joys, I found an old favorite that I've been wanting to make again for some time.  I think I was still in college the last time I made this and have suffered for its lack.  This was handwritten recipe card worthy.  Love this Apple Bread.  But it's more than that really, it's Apple Betty Bread.  The recipe box culprit tried a slice and said, "Mmmmm!"  She quickly finished it and continued, "More, please!"  I cut back the sugar on this recipe to suit our current palate, but if you want more of a dessert you can increase the sugar by ¼-½ cup.  I don't think it needs it though.  With the sweet tart apples and the sweet crunchy topping, it is a great not too sweet treat.  I suspect it would lend itself well to using part almond flour too for an even more healthful rendition.  I believe I originally clipped this out of a Penzey's spice catalog some time in the late 90's and the moist crumb, great flavor and cookie crisp topping instantly won us over.

Apple Betty Bread
makes 2 loaves

4 cups tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped to 1" chunks * (that's about 3 medium Granny Smith)
4 eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup sunflower oil
1/3 cup applesauce
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour (I use a blend of all purpose, light and whole spelt flours)
2 scant tsp fine grain sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
½ cup light brown muscovado sugar

Topping:
¾ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Butter two loaf pans.  (8x4" will be quite full but have a nice thick streusel topping, 9x5" will fit the topping easily.)  With a mixer, beat eggs until very light and foamy, about 2-3 minutes.  Beat in oil, applesauce and extracts.  Beat in sugars until well blended and thick.  (Not quite ribbon forming but almost.)  In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, soda and cinnamon.  Mix slowly into batter in about three additions.  Scrape sides and beat on high for a few seconds to smooth it out.  Fold in the apples.  Spoon the batter evenly into the pans.  Make the topping by cutting the butter into the other topping ingredients until moist and crumbly.  Sprinkle evenly over loaves.  Bake for 50-60 minutes.  Loaf should be firm in the middle.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.  Cool for easier slicing.

* Add a splash of lemon juice to apples and toss to prevent browning.  Drain before folding into batter.

Comments

  1. Indeed that looks great.
    Much enjoyed your story of the little one and the recipe box ~ not nearly as fun, I just went through my electronic recipe box in MacGourmet and deleted a bunch I'll never make, didn't find any treasures like your Apple Betty Bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of this bread, rather unusual. Bet it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..looks & sounds delicious...great idea..!
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the way this sounds. I love apple breads and cakes and can never get enough of them. I'll have to give this a try. It really sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.