Tuna Zucchini Cakes


I must say that I tried this recipe simply because I had the ingredients on hand.  I wasn't expecting much; my last attempt at a tuna cake turned out less than spectacular results.  This one on the other hand was very good.  I would and will make it again.  As a matter of fact, I fried up the rest of the cakes this morning and shared them with my three year old for breakfast.  And even SHE liked them.  And this is a girl who won't touch tuna salad, unlike her big sister who adores it.  Good with lemon juice or tartar, I was thinking that a spicy aioli would be fabulous with them.  That's what I'll do next time.  Just take your favorite aioli and add a shot or two of tabasco.  Yum.  If you use frozen shredded zucchini, which I did this time, be sure and squeeze it quite dry to avoid a watery mixture.  (And if you find your mixture too wet, just tilt the bowl and sop up the extra juice with a paper towel, it will turn out perfectly fine.)  ☺  I also used a whole sprouted grain, low carb bread for my crumbs and they were fabulous.  That made it a low/neutral carb dish for hubby and I.  Bonus!  You can use any oil you like for frying, but I recommend the refined coconut oil because it is good for you and yields a wonderfully crispy and non greasy crust on the cakes.  Or anything else you fry in it for that matter.  (Refined = doesn't smell like coconut.)  Serve with a salad for a lighter dinner or as an appetizer.

Update 9/12/13: With growing girls, six cakes is no longer enough for our family of four.  I will have to double it next time!

Tuna Zucchini Cakes
makes 6 appetizers, double recipe for main meal

½ cup finely chopped onion
1 tbsp butter
1 6.5oz can water packed tuna, drained well and flaked
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
dash of tabasco
½ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 slices whole grain bread, crumbled into fine crumbs, divided
¼ tsp italian seasoning
1/8 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tbsp refined coconut oil

Saute onions in butter in a small pan until tender.  Take off the heat.  Add in the tuna, zucchini, eggs, parsley, lemon juice, tabasco, salt, pepper and ½ cup of the bread crumbs.  Combine well.  In a shallow dish, combine remaining bread crumbs, italian seasoning and garlic powder.  Form tuna mixture into six ½" thick patties and coat with the bread crumb mixture.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium low heat.  Cook the tuna cakes for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Enjoy with lemon, aioli or your favorite seafood condiment.

Adapted from Billie Blanton, Taste Of Home

Comments